Saturday, June 18, 2011

While at the hospital...

My mom was hospitalized (for medical reasons) for 3 weeks. Her potassium levels were critically low from being so malnourished, which put her at risk for a heart attack. I don't know how she had been living like that. Not eating, only drinking beer, shitting herself every few minutes (oh, fecal incontinence), being so weak and depressed that she couldn't get off of the couch.

It's interesting how the mental illness plays into all of this. Do normal alcoholics get like this? Or was it the depressive side of her Bipolar disorder that allowed her to reach this level? It's so hard to know.

Anyway, once she was "medically stable," she was taken to the psych ward. Psych wards are awful. The first couple of times my mom was on the psych floor (in 2002 and 2003), it was a result of her arrests and it was a relief that she was there. This time she was just transferred there from her other [nicer] hospital room on the cardiac floor. It's a locked unit and the staff there are mean and demeaning. It's depressing and it smells like pee.

I will say though, you do have to find to humor in situations. For example, after my mom had to have her stomach "tapped" -- which is a surgery that removes some of the fluid in the belly from her ascites (click here to read about it) -- and my mom jumped out of her wheel chair (imagine how good you'd feel if you got 13 pounds of fluid drained from your belly) and walked over to the scale with a spring in her step. The entire backside of her gown was open (so cliche, I know) and her legs are so skinny (from the malnourishment, so it should've been sad, but it wasn't) and I don't know. She just looked so funny. My brother, sister and I just all burst out laughing.

Another funny thing had to do with another patient. Usually it's sad seeing people in the halls and around the unit, but there was this one old man named Stuart and he just YELLED all the time. Again, it should be sad since he was in this hospital with no family and he was obviously very ill (delusions, etc), but he would yell "HELLO? NURSE?" all day, and then when someone would go in his room, he would scream "GET OUT OF HERE!" He told his counselor to "Fuck off! You're a womanizer and a crook!" (best insults ever). And then after lunch one day, my brother offered to wheel him back to his room and when he was all settled in, Stuart turned to my brother, gave him the finger and said, "Get out of my room, faggot". It sounds so awful as I'm typing it, but it was the funniest thing hearing Stuart yell this at my brother. Sigh.

"When things are at their worst, Scarlett, the only thing to do is find something to laugh about. It keeps you sane".
-Rhett in Scarlett

No comments:

Post a Comment