Tuesday, June 21, 2011

From Caron to Hanley...

The hard and simultaneously wonderful thing about rehab is that you are out of touch with the alcoholic in your life. You hope that he or she is in good hands and that they can "work their magic".

My mom was at Caron (their website) for less than a week before they called to say that they could "not care for her physical needs". I guess they initially thought that they could, but then changed their minds. My mom's therapist also called to tell me my mom was one of the most difficult clients they had ever had because she wouldn't really participate in the program (she was just going through the motions) and denied that she was an alcoholic.

I understand that my mom is a difficult client, but is she really unreachable? She's 56 years old and she's going to die if she keeps drinking. I just don't get it.

Anyway, so then Caron told us that they would pro-rate the $30,000 we paid them (WHY IS REHAB SO EXPENSIVE?) and send her to the Hanley Center (website here), which is a rehab center that caters to elderly people, so they would have the nursing staff to help take care of my mom.

The Hanley Center just called to let us know that my mom was not cooperating (even though SHE decided to go to rehab...it's VOLUNTARY) and that we (my brother, sister and I) need to have a group phone call with my mom to "decide what the next step is".

It is so infuriating. I spoke with my mom yesterday and she was just angry and agitated. She "doesn't want to be there". She "misses home". I just have no sympathy. I hate her so much right now. I just don't get it. Is it the mental illness that makes it SO difficult to get through to her?

Why does she want to die like this?

2 comments:

  1. That's got to be a very frustrating situation. Unfortunately she doesn't think she has a problem. Until she does, she's probably going to keep doing the same thing. Hopefully she will realize soon what she is doing to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment. it is frustrating -- especially since she knows on some level. she told me "i've had a good life. i dont mind dying like this". blahh.

    ReplyDelete