Monday, June 20, 2011

From the psych ward to REHAB

My mom stayed in the psych ward for a little over a week. I am just not convinced that locking people away from the community is the best form of treatment. I understand that some people are a danger to themselves or others, but the "locking up" part just seems so detrimental to a person's spirit. Is isolating people with mental illnesses really all we've got?

I need to read more about community-based living for people with mental illnesses.

Anyway, trying to get my mom transferred to a private care rehab center was a NIGHTMARE. The hospital did not want to help with that at all (even though they stressed the importance of an aftercare plan). It was so frustrating. No one would send her records (even after a medical release), speak with the treatment facilities, or even us. They would hide in their break room and refuse to speak with us. I'm angry just thinking about it now. Ugh.

I started to wonder if we were we an overbearing family, but even if we were...I'd rather have someone looking out for my mom's best interests. This hospital was like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Just awful. The psychiatrist who first saw my mom said that he would never send someone in HIS family to this hospital.

Good question to ask staff: What would you do if this were your mom/family member?




Anyway, my mom finally was transferred to a treatment center called Caron (read about it here) that said they would be able to handle my mom's:

1. alcohol addiction
2. mental illness
3. physical problems

....even though they actually couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment